Pros of auto-darkening welding helmets:
- Provide excellent head and face welding protection.
- Have an electronic filter lens that instantaneously darkens and lightens automatically.
- Have a liquid crystal display (LCD) with adjustable features allowing you to set the shade level (typically shades 9-13) and sensitivity of the filter.
- Have a passive lens shade of #3 or #4, so you can easily inspect your work without lifting the mask.
Cons of auto-darkening welding helmets:
- The initial cost is more than standard passive welding helmets.
- Requires batteries.
- Replacement parts are more expensive.